Next spring, BAS Travel/Study is hosting a special week-long program in the marvelous mountains of Western North Carolina. We invite you to join us for expert Biblical scholarship, wonderful company and Southern relaxation at the Montreat Conference Center, nestled in the hills of North Carolina, a stone’s throw from the very interesting town of Asheville. Professors James Tabor, University of North Carolina, Charlotte, and Tina Wray, Salve Regina University, will present Excavating Lost, Forgotten, Misunderstood, and Marginalized Figures of the Bible, a series of 20 lectures. This seminar offers you a unique opportunity to learn from two popular, renowned Biblical scholars with like-minded participants in a relaxed setting.
In this unique and intriguing seminar, we will explore, examine, and excavate the peripheral characters in the Bible. Some are known but have nonetheless been misunderstood, others have been lost and forgotten, and still others have been purposely marginalized or even removed from our sources. Our recent research has led us to some new and exciting conclusions about those figures who are rarely discussed in the classroom or preached about in the pulpit. In our quest to unearth these forgotten figures, we will explore a variety of sources beyond the pages of the Bible, including the enormous body of Intertestamental writings, historical and other texts from antiquity, as well as the archaeological excavation of material remains.
1. Sorting out the Marys in the life of Jesus: Mother, Magdalene, and Mary of Bethany
2. In Memory of Her: Sorting out the Women Who Anointed Jesus
3. The Four Key Figures in Mark’s Gospel—All Unnamed!
4. More Than A Prophet: Among Those Born of Women there is None Greater Than John
5. Is the Gnostic Gospel of Mary about Mary the Mother of Jesus or Mary Magdalene?
6. Who is the Mysterious Unnamed “Beloved Disciple” in John’s Gospel and Why it Matters
*7. How Did Satan Become the “God of this World”? (The second part of a two-part lecture)
8. Mary the Mother of Jesus as a Doubly Royal Princess
*9. Mary Magdalene: Disciple, Companion, or Wife of Jesus? (The second part of a two-part lecture)
10. How and Why James the Brother of Jesus was Nearly Erased from History
1. In the shadow of David: The Real Story of Israel’s First King
2. Oh Susanna! How the Victim of a Thwarted Sexual Crime Offers Us Insight
3. The Herod Family Chronicles: Their Biblical and Archaeological Legacy
4. Go Up You Baldhead! The Story Behind the Story of Elijah’s Protégé
5. Sister, Sister! The Bible’s Forgotten Sisters
6. Pilate’s Wife: From Sinner to Saint: How New Evidence Unravels One of the Most Twisted Tales Ever Told
7. Witches, Monsters, and Bogeymen: Exploring the Supernatural Figures in the Bible
*8. Humble Beginnings: The Manifestations and Metamorphosis of Humanity’s Greatest Foe (The first part of a two-part lecture)
*9. How A Hometown Girl Became the Apostle to The Apostle: An Archaeological Exploration of Magdala. (The first part of a two-part lecture)
10. Why Women Kill: A Biblical Perspective on Female Murderesses
Located at the heart of Montreat Conference Center overlooking Lake Susan, the historic and newly renovated Assembly Inn has guest accommodations in single and double occupancy rooms. All rooms have a private bath, one king bed, one queen bed, or two twin beds. All baths are tiled and equipped with tubs and showers. Standard guest rooms do not have TV’s, phones, refrigerators, or microwaves.
The Galax Dining Room in Assembly Inn prepares fresh, delicious meals, using quality ingredients. Throughout the year local produce is sourced through Mountain Foods in nearby Asheville. Local honey and stone ground grits from Rutherford County, specialty cakes from Lake Lure, and North Carolina pork products. The meats served are all natural, free of antibiotics, gluten, and MSG. Seafood is wild caught and domestic, and the salads are homemade and fresh cut; no bagged products are used. All meals are served buffet-style in the large dining room.
Four airlines service the Asheville Airport: Allegiant, Delta, United, US airways, American Airlines. Rental car agencies at the airport include Avis, Budget, Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Hertz and National/Alamo.
GrandyCo Asheville Area Transportation
Reservations Required: [email protected]/828-691-0504
Marvels Upscale Transportation Service
Reservations Required: [email protected]/828-280-1698
Montreat Conference Center
401 Assembly Dr.
Montreat, NC 28757
If you are unable to fill out the electronic registration form, please contact the Travel/Study department at 1-800-221-4644 ext. 216.
To pay off your balance, click here.
For more information, contact:
202-364-3300, ext. 216
Email: [email protected]
Biblical Archaeology Society
4710 41st Street, NW
Washington, DC 20016