We are proud to announce a brand-new Biblical Archaeology Review iPad edition. Now you can navigate the ancient world more easily than ever before: flip through issues with the swipe of a finger, zoom in on breathtaking photography, click on links in the table of contents, search for your favorite topics and take it all with you on your morning commute! The new iPad app preserves the layout and beloved features of the print magazine and adds many exciting new features.
A digital subscription includes the latest issues of Biblical Archaeology Review delivered right to your iPad, plus you’ll gain instant access to our complete BAR digital edition back-issue catalog—starting with our January/February 2011 issue and going forward—for as long as you’re a subscriber. Subscribe to the digital edition on the BAS site for additional computer access, then install the app and enjoy!
October 2012 update: The Biblical Archaeology Review iPad app has received its first 20 ratings in the iTunes store, and we are proud to announce that BAR received 99 out of 100 possible stars. We would like to thank our readers for the positive reviews, and we are pleased that you like the app!
How Do I Install the BAR iPad App?
It is easy– digital subscribers just need to use the password listed on the ‘My Account’ page.
• Purchase a digital subscription on the BAS site. (Single issues and subscriptions can also be purchased within the app. However, buying via the BAS site will enable you to access the digital edition on the computer or an additional iPad.)
• Download and install the free Biblical Archaeology Review iPad app in the Apple App Store or Newsstand (using your Apple ID password when prompted).
• Tap on the icon on your browser or the magazine cover in your Newsstand to open the app.
• Tap the lock in the upper right corner of the screen (circled in red on the picture to the right).
• Log in with your email address and the special app password listed in your ‘My Account’ page.
Press the download button next to any issue. Once the download is complete, hit view. Enjoy!
How do I use the BAR iPad app?
Reading BAR on an iPad is an intuitive process. However, we’ve included a few extra features to make your reading experience as enjoyable as possible.
• Tap once on the screen to pull up the toolbar (the most important tool—read more below).
• Pinch the screen or tap twice to zoom in or out for a closer look at the pictures or text.
• Slide your finger left or right to go to the previous or next page.
• Any glowing box is a link (on an article title, etc.). These are extremely useful. Click from the Table of Contents right to the article you want, or click a URL to pull up a website.
• Want to read an article without having to navigate between pages? Click on the glowing box around an article’s title to pull up the article’s plain text. Once there, you have the option to adjust the text size.
• Tap the top-right corner to create a favorite page.
The best way to get around the app is with the toolbar. Remember, just tap the screen once to bring up the toolbar. The toolbar includes:
• Issues: Tap here to go from the current issue back to the list of BAR issues.
• Pages: Tap here to go from issues back to individual magazine pages.
• Thumbs: Tap this to see small thumbnails of all of the pages in the issue you have open.
• Menu: Tap here to pull up a helpful menu, including a help screen showing you how to use the app again.
• Contents: Tap to see a fully clickable Table of Contents.
• Advertisers: Saw an interesting ad in BAR? Learn more.
• Search: Find your favorite topics, in this issue or throughout your digital collection.